Thursday, May 30, 2013

Modern Blocks Quilt-a-long!

YAY! After almost a month of choosing fabric and then finally getting the nerve to actually start it - I have finally finished my very first block in the And Sew We Craft - Modern Blocks Quilt-a-long.



You can find out more about this Quilt-a-long here!

But in a nut shell it will be 1 block per month over a 12 month period = finished quilt top.
The blocks are coming from the book Modern Blocks: 99 Quilt Blocks from Your Favourite Designers, compiled by Suzanne Woods.


The Book Depository currently have it on sale for $21.70 with its usual free postage world wide.
This book is on my drool want need wish list! Feel free to buy it for me if you wish - you can find it here.
You don't need to buy the book - as there will be posts with instructions for each block - but the cover just looks so inviting and I think it would be a good book to have on the shelf for future quilting reference. 

As I mentioned in one of my Sunday Stash posts - I plan to make this quilt for a very special friend who is always there for me and nothing is ever a problem for her. Truly a friend to cherish for life. An added bonus is that our hubbies both get along as to do our kids .  

I have decided to go with a range of solids, using light grey homespun for my base and also a small amount of the Woodland Whimsy range from Spotlight.  I have chosen these colours from a large wall hanging that my friend has in her lounge room, it is basically a deep brown with green. She did explain to me the significance the other night - but to be honest that was after we had had the contents of a bottle of wine and I really can't remember. I will try and sneakily steal a photo of it one day to show you all.

The first block is - Follow the leader! You can find the post about it here.

I have never ever sewn flying geese before and was very nervous about it - but overall I am very happy with my attempt. I did originally have a lime green where the brown was - but it just didn't sit right overall.



A close up of the points! Did I say I was pretty happy with my first attempt.

Now to sit tight for a couple of days until the June block is posted!

2 comments: